Home Offbeat Think You’re Protected? 4 Things Your Home Insurance Won’t Cover

Think You’re Protected? 4 Things Your Home Insurance Won’t Cover

by DrPrem Jagyasi
Home Insurance Basics

Having a home insurance policy doesn’t ensure that you’re protected from certain types of disasters. Most home insurance policies have large gaps that leave you exposed to expensive repairs. Double-check your home insurance policy to see whether it covers these four things. If it doesn’t, then you might need extra coverage.

Broken Appliances

You may think of your refrigerator, climate control system, and water heater as essential parts of your home, but your insurance company disagrees. When major appliances break, you usually have to pay the full cost of repair or replacement.

You can extend the lives of your appliances by observing basic maintenance. Eventually, though, you might need to spend hundreds of dollars on repairs.

You can save money by getting a home warranty from TotalProtect. With a home warranty, you pay a small fee to fix broken appliances. Instead of spending hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars at once, you get protected from significant financial loss by purchasing an affordable warranty.

Does Your Home Insurance Covers Flooding?

Few home insurance policies cover floods. Many people think this is fine because they don’t live in areas that typically experience high water. Unfortunately, floods can happen unexpectedly within no time. The federal government might pay to repair some damage caused by widespread flooding, but you’ll still face hefty bills that can drain your savings account.

Most insurance providers offer supplemental coverage for floods. Read the fine print before you buy flood insurance, though. Some policies don’t offer the amount of coverage that you may expect.

Mold

Homeowners dread mold because it’s often difficult to remove and it can cause a variety of health problems. Some health issues caused by mold include allergic reactions such as runny noses, irritated eyes, and sore throats. The stakes become higher if someone in your home has asthma. Breathing air contaminated by mold can trigger serious problems that can leave asthma sufferers gasping for air.

No matter how much mold you find in your home, prepare to fix the problem without help from your insurance provider. If it’s a small amount, then you might find that you can’t eliminate the mold on your own. If it’s a serious case, though, you’ll need to pay a team of professionals to remove it for you.

Earthquakes

Depending on where you live, you may not worry about earthquakes very often. You might think that major earthquakes only happen in states such as California. Although California accounts for 84 percent, or $3.3 billion, of the country’s earthquake damage, other areas make up the remaining 16 percent. Earthquakes pose serious problems for many urban areas such as Seattle, St. Louis, Las Vegas, Memphis, and New York City.

Unfortunately, home insurance policies don’t cover earthquake damage. Even if you live in a relatively safe area, you could still lose your home during an earthquake.

Now is a good time to read your home insurance policy carefully and look for gaps in coverage. If you don’t have the right level of protection, take steps to make sure that you can afford unexpected repairs in the future.

Article Submitted by Community Writer.

You may also like